Southern Region Water Quality Themes
The following are Water Quality Target Programs for the Southern Region:
- Waste Management
- Addresses proper handling, storage and beneficial reuse of various waste materials including human and animal biosolids and industrial by-products.
- Drinking Water and Human Health
- Addresses the testing and evaluation of water quality for human consumption, types of contaminants and methods of treatment.
- Watershed Restoration
- Addresses the evaluation, management and recovery of impaired land and water resources impacted by natural and human-accelerated disturbance or contamination such as mining, energy exploration, erosion and/or waste disposal.
- Nutrient and Pesticide Management
- Addresses the proper handling, storage and use of nutrients and pesticides to protect water quality in agricultural and non-agricultural environments.
- Pollution Assessment and Prevention
- Addresses methods and technologies for evaluating types and sources of potential water pollution and strategies for prevention.
- Watershed Management
- Addresses the characteristics and functions of watersheds and methods for protection of water resources on a watershed scale.
- Water Quantity and Policy
- Addresses water quantity and policy issues and their relevance to maintaining the availability and quality of water resources needed to meet the growing demands for both consumptive and nonconsumptive uses.